Here is the Director of Intelligence John Negroponte’s letter to the House’s Select Committee on Intelligence and his explanation of the 500 chemical weapons WMDs found in Iraq. (pdf) which is what Senator Santorum disclosed on the Senate’s floor yesterday.
Source: National Review Online
The immediate reaction from the libs was to down play the importance of this discovery and I wouldn’t expect anything less. They claim some intell officer (unknown) said these WMDs where pre the 1991 Gulf War and degraded in strength.
I also picked up some isolated comments on some left wing blog sites suggesting the timing of this discovery was suspicious.
Here is my reaction to the left……NUTS!
1. Whether they where pre war or not or any combination of it does not matter, it proves that Saddam had chemical weapons (WMDs) and only people suffering and blinded by Bush Derangement Syndrome will refuse to admit the significance of this revelation.
2. The left is also stating that these are not the type of weapons we went to war over, again I say NUTS! This is exactly what the world was concerned about …NERVE GAS.
3. The amount of Nerve Gas found here could kill a half million people which Saddam did before when he gassed hundreds of thousands of Kurds.
4. This is the chemical agents which Iraq denied possession of and to U.N. Inspectors prior to the war claiming that it was all destroyed.
5. We should all be petrified at the thought that even one canister of this nerve gas got into the hands of Al Qaeda terrorist as this is just what they had been hoping for. A release of this gas in a subway system or a big office building could kill thousand immediately.
6. The lefties are claiming these containers are old and deteriorated and have lost their strength, maybe so or to what extent, which one of you lefties would like to volunteer to take a sniff of this stuff? You can’ t have it both ways.
7. 500 is not enough, what’s the magic number? How much has to be found before you become concerned? I think we should all be concerned about what might be buried in the sand and has not been discovered yet.
For the left to continue to live in a state of denial is foolish and counterproductive to the war on terrorism. Nerve Gas is not selective about who it kills and the problem is, it’s all of our problem and unity would go a long way in defeating this enemy.
Report: Hundreds of WMDs Found in Iraq
WASHINGTON — The United States has found 500 chemical weapons in Iraq since 2003, and more weapons of mass destruction are likely to be uncovered, two Republican lawmakers said Wednesday.
“We have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, chemical weapons,” Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., said in a quickly called press conference late Wednesday afternoon.
Reading from a declassified portion of a report by the National Ground Intelligence Center, a Defense Department intelligence unit, Santorum said: “Since 2003, coalition forces have recovered approximately 500 weapons munitions which contain degraded mustard or sarin nerve agent. Despite many efforts to locate and destroy Iraq’s pre-Gulf War chemical munitions, filled and unfilled pre-Gulf War chemical munitions are assessed to still exist.”
More from Fox NewsDirector of Intelligence John Negroponte, Select Committee on Intelligence, WMDs, Iraq, Senator Santorum, 1991 Gulf War, NERVE GAS, Al Qaeda terrorist